There is just something about a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup that warms you from the inside out. It is the food equivalent of a hug. Truly a comfort food.
I thought I'd share my recipe here with you. It can be made on the stove top or I like to make it in my beloved Instant Pot. The version here will be for Instant Pot. Stewing hens are a perfect for making a complete soup or a bone broth. They provide a depth of flavor you won't get anywhere else. At $5/bird they are worth stocking up!!!
Lynch Farms Stewing Hen Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Frozen Lynch Farms Stewing Hen
- 8 cups water
- 3 Carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 3 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 6 cloves of Garlic, pressed
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar (this helps draw the minerals from the bones to make an even healthier soup)
1. Add everything from above to the pot.
2. Secure the lid, press the meat/stew button and set the time for 35 minutes on high pressure.
3. Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release (be careful - there will still be a lot of steam and potentially liquid - wear an oven mitt).
4. Remove the chicken from the pot. Remove meat from the bones.
5. Add chicken back to the pot, along with 2 cups of egg noodles.
6. Once again, secure the lid and pressure cook on manual for 3 minutes.
7. Follow pressure release guidelines from step 3.
8. Open the pot and enjoy soul warming, delicious soup that tastes like it cooked all day.